|By Dana Gardner||
|August 21, 2015 01:00 PM EDT||
HP today at its Big Data Conference in Boston unveiled a series of new products, services, and programs designed to help organizations better leverage data and analytics.
The company announced:
- A new release of HP Vertica, called Excavator, that feature data streaming and advanced log file text search to power high-speed analytics on Internet of Things (IoT) data.
- Broader support for and contributions to open source technologies, including optimized Hadoop performance, integration with the Apache Kafka distributed messaging system, and advancements in Distributed R predictive analytics.
- The HP Haven Startup Accelerator program, which provides early-stage companies with fast, affordable access to both HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software and services.
"Big data helps us make more sense of it all, a byproduct of what we do everyday," said Robert Youngjohns, Executive Vice President and General Manager at HP Software, in a keynote address. "Big data solves everyday problems like security, inventory, and empowers workers ... and you can now exploit 100 percent of your data."
Youngjohns said that HP at its HP Protect show in a few weeks will announce how to better mine IT systems analytics to make enterprises more secure.
"Big data changes the game in the idea economy," said Colin Mahony, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Big Data at HP. "Big data is core to all apps, but customized composite analytic applications are coming."
The key question for enterprises is, how can you embed analytics into the role you play in your organization?, said Mahony, adding that, enterprises need to spin up new apps constantly to identify and analyze via context, which they cannot get from packaged apps.
"Developers are the new heroes of the idea economy," said Mahony. "Through our Haven and Haven OnDemand platforms, we are empowering these heroes to transform their business through data, by allowing them to harness the value of all forms of information, rapidly connect and apply open source, and quickly access the tools they need to build winning businesses." [Disclosure: HP Enterprise is a sponsor of BriefingsDirect podcasts.]
Also addressing the keynote audience was recent Turing Award winner Mike Stonebraker, CTO and co-founder of Tamr. He said that the development of the column store database was the most disruptive thing I ever did. "It transformed the market," he said, and lead to the Vertica big data platform that HP acquired in 2011.
But he cautioned against getting caught up in marketing buzz over data science substance. "I’ve been doing big data forever. The buzzword is meaningless, it’s about solving data volume, velocity, and variety problems."
"Analytics is moving to complex analytics, using machine learning and statistics, so you need to get smart at data science," said Stonebraker.
Capabilities in the new version of Vertica, codenamed "Excavator," include:
- Data-streaming analytics offering native support for the Apache Kafka open-source distributed messaging system to enable organizations to quickly ingest and analyze high-speed streaming data, including IoT, in near real time. This capability delivers actionable insight for a wide range of use cases, including manufacturing process control, supply-chain optimization, healthcare monitoring, financial risk management, and fraud detection.
- Advanced machine log text search to enable organizations to collect and index large log file data sets generated by systems and business applications, helping IT organizations quickly identify and predict application failures and cyber-attacks, and investigate authorized and unauthorized access.
HP also released a series of solutions designed to enable organizations to combine the innovation of open source with the enterprise-scale, reliability, and security. These include:
- HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop native file support, bringing significant increase in performance on popular Hadoop formats like ORC and Parquet. Specifically, HP worked collaboratively with Hortonworks to develop a new high-performance access layer that enables SQL queries to run directly on ORC files, resulting in a 5x increase in execution times.
- HP Vertica Flex Zone Table Library with which HP has open sourced its innovative Flex Table "schema on-need" technology to the global developer community. With this move, organizations will be able to fully harness virtually any form of semi-structured data to meet their unique needs.
- HP announced its commitment to integrate Vertica with Apache Spark. This will enable accelerated data transfer between Vertica and Spark, allowing organizations to take full advantage of their Spark-based deployments. This future capability will enable the developer community to build their models in Spark and run them in Vertica for high-speed and sophisticated analytics.
HP also unveiled The HP Haven Startup Accelerator, a new program designed to support and expand HP's ecosystem of developers and innovators by making HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software products accessible to early-stage companies. The program removes traditional barriers for organizations looking to leverage analytics and data to build powerful, differentiated applications. Qualified participants will benefit from the following program components:
- Free use of the community versions of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with expanded capacity.
- Premium version of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with attractive pricing
- HP Application Delivery Management tools including HP Agile Manager, HP LeanFT, and HP LoadRunner.
HP also announced an innovative framework of technology and proven best practices to accelerate the development of next-generation analytical applications. This framework extends the HP Haven Big Data Platform with quick-start visualization, syndicated data feeds, open on-premise and cloud-based APIs. This enables HP Professional Services and HP partners to quickly deliver a range of solutions, such as voice of customer, smart cities, and fraud detection.
Optimized platforms for big data include traditional HP ProLiant DL380 clusters, purpose-built Apollo 4510, 4530 and 4200 compute and storage servers, and HP's innovative asymmetric Big Data Reference Architecture. These systems enable customers to optimize their big data workloads, delivering the power of Haven to their business.
Availability Planned availability for new HP Haven Big Data offerings and services is set for fall of 2015.
You may also be interested in:
- How eCommerce sites harvest big data across multiple clouds
- How Localytics uses big data to improve mobile app development and marketing
- Full 360 takes big data analysis cloud services to new business heights
- HP hyper-converged appliance delivers speedy VDI and apps deployment and a direct onramp to hybrid cloud
- Enterprises opting for converged infrastructure as stepping stone to hybrid cloud
- How big data technologies Hadoop and Vertica drive business results at Snagajob
- Zynga builds big data innovation culture by making analytics open to all developers
- How big data powers GameStop to gain retail advantage and deep insights into its markets
- Data-driven apps performance monitoring spurs broad business benefits for Swiss insurer and Turkish mobile carrier
- How Malaysia’s Bank Simpanan Nasional implemented a sweeping enterprise content management system
- Redcentric Uses Advanced Configuration Database to Focus Massive Merger Across Multiple Networks
- HP at Discover delivers the industry's first open, hybrid, ecosystem-wide cloud architecture
- How Tableau Software and Big Data Come Together: Strong Visualization Embedded on an Agile Analytics Engine
- Big Data Helps Conservation International Proactively Respond to Species Threat in Tropical Forests
- How Globe Testing helps startups make the leap to cloud- and mobile-first development
- GoodData analytics developers on what they look for in a big data platform
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,088
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,078
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,600
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,169
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,638
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,240
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,610
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,124
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,475
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,687
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,713
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,300
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,545
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,446
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,248
Now that the world has connected “things,” we need to build these devices as truly intelligent in order to create instantaneous and precise results. This means you have to do as much of the processing at the point of entry as you can: at the edge. The killer use cases for IoT are becoming manifest through AI engines on edge devices. An autonomous car has this dual edge/cloud analytics model, producing precise, real-time results. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Crupi, Vice President and Eng...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,084
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,188
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,455
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,973
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,041